> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Beautiful stuff but unsustainable
Login | Register

Beautiful stuff but unsustainable

Posted by tomh on March 12th, 2003 12:20 PM
In reply to trex decking vs. IPE by Janet on March 12th, 2003 10:59 AM [Go to top of thread]

This is an exotic hardwood that as far as I know has been well demonstrated. But EXPENSIVE!!!! This stuff will cost twice to three times as much as premium redwood and requires custom fasteners due to hardness. Heat gain in extruded composite is slightly higher than natural wood and is dependent on color.

Ipe comes from old growth tall canopy rain forest trees. Although the countries exporting this timper resource value your dollar, it is kind of like buying ivory in my opinion. I have a professional forestry background and continue toe work for timber producers, but harvest without sustainability is a crime. U.S. Redwood and Douglas Fir is harvested from primarily commercial timberlands with a 60 year harvest rotation and replacement. It is a renewable and well managed resource. When you use Ipe wood, in 10 years you are going to have the carcass of an extinct rain forest hanging off your house. Think about it Janet.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC