renovateyourworld.com > Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Be Prepared...........
Login | Register

Be Prepared...........

Posted by doug seibert on February 27th, 2003 05:23 AM
In reply to Solar Home by BooBoo on February 27th, 2003 02:35 AM [Go to top of thread]

"My current city home should officially belong to it's new owner within the week.............." writes BooBoo.

"This is really important and I've REALLY tried to do my homework on the options......"

Sorry,but with the questions you've posted but it doesn't sound like you've put much THOUGHT to this solar project.......with one week to go this is a few years late in the planning stage.

"........if memory serves, that puts solar shingle costs incl installation, breakers, storage, etc. at $5.000.00 for an average sized home............"

That's the trouble relying on the TV show and a failing memory to design/price a complex system(s)..............PV prices have fallen over the years but only few subsidies remain that rebate the costs of solar systems

A local doctor with a "mission" to personnal independence is the first in our town (Orlando Florida) to install a total PhotoVoltaic System to provide 100% of his electrical power.................Of course he is still connected to the "grid" because his excess power generated is traded/sold back to the local utility......and he buys/trades power during overcast or evening hours.............The PANELS that cover the entire south facing roof of his house and outstructures is reported to cost in excess of $50,000........and that's NO storage capacity............

In remote country......without the available electic grid.........Solar can easily provide low voltage electic for powering special lights and appliances that are operated on 12/24 volt systems......Huge banks of batteries(maintainence required......some potential hazard)are used to store the power generated during the productive sunshine hours............MICHIGAN? How many solar hrs/day/yr?.....The heat and cooking are usually provided by alternate fuels(wood, gas)......Try Reading: Mother Earth News...............

Google: solar power or Photovoltaic Systems

Keep Dreaming.....Good Luck, You'll need it......doug

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2017 Renovate Your World LLC