> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > bc, Sagging Floor Update...
Login | Register

bc, Sagging Floor Update...

Posted by Dodgeman on February 6th, 2001 01:36 PM

Last night I went back to the basement for further analysis of the problem. It appeared that one joist is the major offender and the ones on either side of it are comming along for the ride. So I disconnected the bridging connecting the three of them together. Then I put a small bottle jack on the concrete floor with a length of 2x4 to the bottom of the joist and put pressure at the center of that joist. I was amazed how easy the joist moved upward. I got the 3/4 inch movement I needed, and when I measured the flatness upstairs it was back to flat with no sag! Based on my "calibrated" hand on the jack handle, I would say it only took 500 to 1000 lbs force. Also, the ends of the joist did not lift off of the sill plate. I'm not sure of my next step. I will reinstall new bridging to see if that holds it. If not I guess I will sister another 2x10 to the bad one. The bad joist doesn't appear to have any cracks, splits, big knots etc. It just seems to be warped and unable to support any kind of load. I'm not sure what wood it is made of, but it certainly isn't douglas fir.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC