> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > bathroom floor
Login | Register

bathroom floor

Posted by Jim Malone on November 11th, 2002 11:46 AM
In reply to Evening a uneven floor by steve jones on July 12th, 2000 10:54 AM [Go to top of thread]

i recently decided to redo my 2nd floor bathroom. i removed a beautiful cast iron tub (dusty rose-no chips or rust) by breaking it up with a large hammer. however, once i removed the pieces i was shocked to see that way back when, the had taken the tops of the floor joists and cut them down to accomidate the slope of the tub from the back to the front. so i have beams that are no the same size where the drain was compaired to the height of the beams where i would be if i where standind in the tub. not only that, the balance of the bathroom floor is concrete and the tub drain runs right thru it to the toilet!!!!! the floor joists have small pieces of wood tacked onto them which have cross pieces spanning the joists about 2-1/2" below the top of the joists. this was then filled with cement and 3 to 6" pieces of colored alabaster embedded into it. they have the toilet flange, the tub drain and who knows what else in there. i want to place a tub with surround made by sterling in the spot. i have to make the floor level where the tub is to be placed. i wanted to pull out the plumbing, old toilet line, tub drain, sink drain and the stack (the stack is 3" cast iron and every 3ft. there is a bell conection that will cause a problem if i try to dry wall-so i wanted to make it a 3" sched 40). any suggestions on the floor?? i did not do anything to the cement/toilet area yet. i was trying to read up on sistering other pieces to the angled/cut joists but what i have read was that they had to span the complete this true or can i put them just where i can fit them??-----i am confined on space and maneuverability and cannot get the entire length into the bathroom. is it safe to do it only part way vs. the entire length??? this will determine what i can do in the balance of this small 5 long x 5 wide x 8 high bathroom. i can't begin to imagine what the drain tie in looks like below the toilet!! i was just sitting there contemplating the whole thing when i noticed that a joist runs dead center in the front of the toilet. just what do you think they did to that joist to make way for the flange and drain for the toilet??? i am certain it will also be cut. i started this back on july 4th. winter is barking at my door and i am staring at the backside of the lumber that makes up my 2 story cape cod home in pennsylvania. so thats, 1) what to do with those whittled down beams; 2) do i break up the cement floor and replace all the galvanized pipe with schedule 40 pvc, 3) tear out the vent stack that will cause me to box it in otherwise (or shim out the wall--which will make the tub surround a mess to work in). help

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC