> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Bathroom ceiling question
Login | Register

Bathroom ceiling question

Posted by Mike on February 28th, 2003 05:55 PM

Hi guys,

I've posted before several times regarding drywall work I'm redoing in my home. The tape seams let go.

I'm working on the bathroom now. The ceiling looked good when I removed the popcorn, except for the area above the tub. There was a tape seam in the ceiling right at the edge of the tub that was lifting on the edges. This tape was very difficult to remove. I don't think they used standard drywall mud. It almost looked like some type of adhesive, and was difficult to get off. It actually took part of the paper off the drywall when I scraped the joint area. Also, the paper around the joint seemed to want to separate. I also noticed in a few places the drywall paper was bubbling slightly.

I went into the attic to see if there had been any water leaking from the roof into this area. It appears dry up there, and there was no discoloration to the drywall. I'm guessing the problem is that the ceiling above the shower is absorbing water. This bathroom does not have an exhaust fan to remove the steam.

First, does anybody have an idea what was used in place of standard mud? I didn't remove all of it. Can I apply regular mud over what is left of this stuff. It doesn't sand very well.

Second, what is the best way of repairing the area above the tub. The drywall work is a little wavy and has some small places where the paper seems to be separating. Is there a better way to do this that is not a ton of work?

I also want to say that it is very difficult to get to this area in the attic. I can get to the center of the tub, but no closer because of the slope of the roof. I moved insulation back with a rake to inspect the top surface.

I'm open for ideas.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC