> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Basement waterproofing stories
Login | Register

Basement waterproofing stories

Posted by Willie on June 18th, 1998 02:22 PM

There is a ton of ideas on how to waterproof basements. I have an old house with blocks walls. It doesn't ever flood because of the floor drain, but it is wet about 1 or 2 feet out from the walls all the way around. After hard rains it could get an inch deep and extend out several feet.
I can't dig down on the outside and install tile, as the walls won't support the gravel backfill, and I can't afford it.
What does sound attractive is the interior drains where they trench out along the walls, drill weep holes in the bottom blocks, then put in drain pipe leading to a sump. There's also a plastic channel on the market, where you don't have to bust up the floor, just glue this in place along the walls.
This probably isn't the best method, as water still comes through the walls from the outside, but it seems like it could work.
Even if this isn't the best way, isn't it better than doing nothing?
This method relieves the water pressure, and the pressure has moved a wall slightly over the years.
What are some stories or opinions from anyone who has attempted basement waterproofing?
Thanks for your input - I am so-o-o-o-o confused !!!!!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC