> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Basement Waterproofing revisited
Login | Register

Basement Waterproofing revisited

Posted by Bruce M on April 12th, 1998 02:01 PM
In reply to leaking basement by Bill Richardson on April 11th, 1998 10:56 PM [Go to top of thread]

Hi Bill:
This topic has been discussed several times...often at great length. As is often the case with other discussion boards, it would be very helpful if the BV board managers would develop a board to keep responses to frequently asked questions :-)

In my limited experience, I don't think the white rigid PVC with holes in it or the black ABS drain pipe with slits in it is really the issue. In fact, you can build an effective French drain around the inner perimeter of your foundation under your concrete slab using gravel...its just the pipe channels water more effectively.

If you're going to hire this done, I'd suggest looking for a contractor whose solution is to break up the slab around the perimeter of your basement, drain cinderblock 'holes' into this drain and install a sump pump in the low corner of your basement to pump the water out. This is a labor intensive process but, IMHO, is the only sure way. I suggest avoiding those whose solutions include sealers, colloids and epoxy paints. The way to beat mother nature's hydorstatic pressure is to use gravity to direct it....not to try to hold it back (smile).

Best wishes

Bruce M

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC