> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Basement Walls
Login | Register

Basement Walls

Posted by Mike E on February 24th, 2000 07:43 AM
In reply to new house basement by d .s on February 22nd, 2000 08:45 PM [Go to top of thread]

Hi there. I looked at SEVERal ways builders join the 2x4's to the poured walls / brick walls and I believe I know what your're talking about. You can see small gaps between the 'footer' 2x4 and the concrete, right? Well a 'Good" builder would have used a pink poly foam gasket to put between the 2x4's and the concrete. It's very cheap and seals well. Others believe this helps the basement 'breathe'. It can be sealed with caulk of expanding foam, but you should choose the builder (if possible) that uses the right steps and best construction. Don't be afraid to ask why he didn't use it. And believe me, DO NOT CLOSE WITHOUT EVERY LITTLE DETAIL BEING FINISHED TO YOUR APPROVAL! Your builder will probably not be back after the closing to repair or replace anything. They believe that once the closing is signed, he's free and clear regardless of the stipulations of the contract. Good luck and be very picky!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC