> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Basement Wall Mold - help
Login | Register

Basement Wall Mold - help

Posted by dennis on August 31st, 2000 01:10 PM

I've just started renting a basement room in Chicago house with 'mold' on the walls. Is it harmful and what do I do to neutralize it? Any advise would be much appreciated.

Background: I was told the pump to lower the groundwater failed about 2 years ago and it flooded the basement. There doesn't appear to be any other source of moisture. The mold exists on most of the walls in the below ground basement and no evidence is visible on the main floor. The basement walls are 1)painted drywall and 2) a old fabric material. The mold has, I assume, moved up the wall to about 3 feet from the ground. The floor is tiled. Visible evidence includes discoloration of the fabric and little patches of 'fuzzy'material -mold. The mold is brown colored on the painted surfaces and looks like fine sand, sometimes it's black colored.
There is no humidifier in the basement. Only one small window near the ceiling and small air vent in the hallway beside the basement room. This last week, i've developed a cough and sinus congestion ...
Can I just spray it with some kind of 2:1 laundry bleach and leave it without scraping?

Thank you for any information you may have.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC