> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Basement insulation
Login | Register

Basement insulation

Posted by Henry in MI on November 11th, 1998 12:26 PM
In reply to insulating block walls from the outside by sam on November 11th, 1998 10:22 AM [Go to top of thread]

On one of the This Old House shows where they added a second floor and addition to what was basically a Cape Cod style house, they sprayed a tar or tarlike substance on it, added foam insulation boards, then sprayed again and added a waterproof membrane. This system looked great but I do remember that it had to be professionally applied because of the spraying and for warantee purposes.

I don't remember the name or know if this is available in your part of the country. In fact, I am surprised that someone in your part of the country would be too concerned about insulation for a below ground space. The thermal mass of the ground around the walls should keep the space at a pretty even temperature. Also, it would seem to be much easier to install insulation between 2x4's, etc. when you finish the inside. I have done this in Michigan and it is no big deal. Perhaps there is something that I am not seeing and you might want to advise more about your particular problem.
Henry in MI

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC