renovateyourworld.com > Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > BASEMENT INSULATION
Login | Register

BASEMENT INSULATION

Posted by RYAN on February 14th, 2000 12:12 PM
In reply to basement insulation by bc on January 20th, 2000 11:15 PM [Go to top of thread]

BC, THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP. I HAVE DECIDED TO GO AHEAD AND USE 6 1/2" THICK R19 TO DO THE WALLS AND CEILING IN MY BASEMENT. THIS WILL LEAVE A 2 1/2" AIRSPACE BETWEEN THE BACK OF THE INSULATION AND THE FOUNDATION. I ACTUALLY LIVE IN ST. LOUIS, MO SO I REALLY DO NOT HAVE A SEVERE WINTER CLIMATE. I AM TRYING TO ACHIEVE AN EXTREMELY WELL INSULATED BASEMENT SINCE WE WILL BE USING IT MORE FOR LIVING/ENTERAINTMENT SPACE. OUR HOUSE IS 80 YEARS OLD, AND SO WAS THE HEATING SYSTEM. I HAD REPLACED THE BOILER AND ALL THE OLD PIPE WITH NEW COPPER & A GAS FIRED BOILER. THE SYSTEM IS NOW MORE EFFICIENT, I'M JUST TRYING TO HELP IT EVEN MORE. THE POINT IS TO TRY TO ELIMINATE A COLD BASEMENT AND HELP THE FIRST FLOOR KEEP WARM.

I CAME UP WITH MY ESTIMATE THIS WAY: I AM FILING EVERY STUD CAVITY, EVEN THE CEILING WITH R19 - 6 1/2" THICK INSULATION. EVERY INTERIOR WALL WILL BE FILLIED AS WELL. THE FLOOR WILL BE INSULATED WITH RIGID INSULATION, 2" THICK. I WILL HAVE A THEATER, A WORKSHOP, AN OFFICE, A FITNESS CENTER, A GAME ROOM AND A LAUNDRY ROOM IN THE BASEMENT, SO NOISE PROOFING IS KEY. ROLLED INSULATION IS ABOUT $16.00 A ROLL. AS YOU CAN TELL, I NEED A LOT OF IT.

ANY WAY, THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2017 Renovate Your World LLC