> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > basement floor
Login | Register

basement floor

Posted by Daniel on February 25th, 2001 10:00 AM

I live in a 130 yr old house, I want to do something with the basement. I have some water problems on one side of the basement --which the sump pump handles ok. The foundation is stone, the floor is 1/4 to 1/5 inch thick poured ontop of the dirt. Obviously this was not the correct way to pour a floor and it has a lot of problems.
What I want to do is get some more head room, so I can install a drop ceiling. Is it possible to do this with the type of foundation I have? Another problem is there is a 45 foot 6x6 beam down the center of the house which is supported by several brick pillers. I have no idea of how the pillers are anchored into the floor. I am guessing that the house originally had a dirt floor as most of the houses on my street still do.

I am thinking this project may be a little more than I can handle but I don't even know who to call for a job like this.
I want to put in a new floor with radiant heating, as well as trying to get more head room for a new ceiling. Any suggestions?

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC