> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Basement Delema
Login | Register

Basement Delema

Posted by Jeremy on February 28th, 2003 11:12 AM

My wife and I have talked to several contractors all of them being the elite of them all. Unfortunately there costs are completely out of control. Starting price 20gs and they don't go lower then that. It seems there's a logistical problem in my neighborhood that hinders them using equipment and what not. I've come to the conclusion that contracting all though preferred but not anywhere in my ability to generate that kind of doe. Is there any type of work I can do myself that will allow me the time to gather the dollars?

Now I came to a few ideas and I would love to get any insight as yea or nay.

1. Purchase House jacks and place them up through out the basement for added support.
2. Purchase house jacks and slowly raise the home until the interior wall finally collapses and replace it with a new interior wall.

Now here are the ways I was thinking of doing so. Raise the home slowly by placing some new pads into the floor with the standard 3'x3'x1,' slightly below grade approx. 3-6." I wont be using them after the job is done so ill simple concrete over the pad when finished. I also will be purchasing some railroad ties used to help support the lift of the home base itself and will later use them for a future landscaping project. After lifting the home build a new interior footing at grade level with the width of 18" and 6" depth. To form the footing I was considering using forma-drain and place in a crock as well. The concrete footing will have a 4-5 slump to it. Next Purchase the cinder blocks and go to town. After the new wall is in place remove the jacks grade the floor and place concrete.
I know this is a big job to do but I was hopping to get some insight on my method. Any comments questions please feel free to even slam my idea that's why IM here to get insight. Thank you and God bless America!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC