> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > basement construction
Login | Register

basement construction

Posted by cheryle fuller on August 23rd, 2002 10:37 PM
In reply to Insulated concrete forms by Joan Wochomurka on February 2nd, 1998 11:22 AM [Go to top of thread]

I'm buying some very expensive land here in the Texas hill country, and want to put basements under the old houses I will be moving in and restoring. They will be used for mechanical systems, storage and living space. I have no experience with basements and I'm pretty sure no-one here does either. I've had to learn pllumbing, electrical, foundation, roofing, carpentry, and drywall because i don't trust any one to do it right. And I've learned that a lot of men think that wearing a tool pouch imparts some type of knowledge by osmosis, and will lie and say anything. I want to learn as much technical detail as i can, and the TV shows usually have someone talking over the contractor so his message can't be heard. Are there any books on the subject? I think the foam forms will be the best option, but I would like to know what to look for in quality and ease of use,and potential pitfalls. What is the going rate to dig the hole, set the forms, fill them? How deep should I go to have maximum headroom and minimum intrusion above ground? If I have a bathroom and laundry room in the basement, will I have to have a pump to reach the sewer line? The access stairs will need to be outside. How do I keep from flooding the basement when we have one of our famous frog strangler rains? Frost lines aren't much of an issue. The basement will be 47' x 26'. About how much would this cost me? I can't go to the building inspectors because they are ignorant, uneducated and on the take. The whole staff gets turned over about every three years, except the secretaries, who think they know everything.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC