> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Basement ceiling
Login | Register

Basement ceiling

Posted by Betsy on April 18th, 2000 10:24 AM
In reply to Ceiling in basement by Ed Hinton on April 17th, 2000 08:34 PM [Go to top of thread]

Had the same dilema with my basement. The shut-off valves to the 1st floor bathtub were in the basement ceiling which was directly over our indoor hot-tub. Drywall over the hot-tub didn't seem like a good idea specially since we needed access to the shutoff valves for upstairs tub. There was not enough headroom for a dropped ceiling. In the end - after deciding NOT to burn down the house and start over - we stapled up heavy black plastic sheeting over the hot-tub area and then put up wood lattice that had been stained to match the hot-tub skirt. The lattice is screwed to the ceiling joists so we can take it down easily if necessary. The sheets of lattice come 4'x8' so we made the area 8' x 8' for an even look. The seams between the lattice sheets are covered with 1" x 3" boards that are painted hunter green to match the rest of the trim in the room. The exhaust fan over the hot tub is still functional yet hidden. THe effect is neat - redwood lattice bordered by green trim. Rest of the basement ceiling was drywalled. If for some reason an emergency made it necessary to access the shutoff valves in a big hurry, I can just poke a hole in the plastic to get to them if I don't have time to unscrew the lattice.
Hope this gives you some ideas. Betsy

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC