> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > basement additon
Login | Register

basement additon

Posted by laguh on April 1st, 2003 05:21 PM
In reply to Small pours by Scott on December 15th, 2002 07:51 PM [Go to top of thread]

I'm contemplating a similar project. My old (1952ish) moutain cabin was built without a basement (or heating system) or room for one. I'm replacing a carport (that i converted to a garage) that is attached to the side of the cabin. I plan to dig out a basement under the carport/garage & at the same time..add a basement under the house to access the basement under the garage and provide room for a heating system. an additional reason is that the 2 brothers that built this cabin put the footings above the frost the walls (cinderblock) have cracked over time. The crawl space under house is about 18 inches.. i plan to enlarge this to 9 feet or so to provide decent headroom in under garage basement. I put a garage addition behind house (at 90 degree angle to carport/garage) with a 9 foot ceiling under it. That went fine.. My contractor sayas this is feasable..but we'll have to usa a Bobcat to dig under house.. a British firm says they do this as a matter of course.. full basements under slab houses.. but they charge 1,000,000 for the average job ($1.5 million) out of my price range. Would appreciate any references to 'prior art' in the field.. thanks.. laguh

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC