> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Baseboard Mouldings
Login | Register

Baseboard Mouldings

Posted by Herb L on October 5th, 1997 03:03 AM
In reply to baseboard molding angles by Leon Berman on September 15th, 1997 02:11 PM [Go to top of thread]

Leon - Forget the miter joints when installing baseboard molding, Use a coped joint. I'm not sure I can explain this but here goes.. Cut the first piece to run wall to wall with plain old square ends and nail it in place. Take the second piece and miter cut one end at 45 degrees. (You can probably use some of the pieces you've already cut.) Use a coping saw or jig saw and carefully cut along the front edge of the miter cut. This will create a profile that should butt up and match the molding perfectly. Nail this piece in place and continue around the room coping one end of each piece. It takes a little practice to make the cut but this is a perfectly acceptable method and is much more forgiving than a mitered joint. You'll see coped joints used in many older homes. I've got a Time/Life book "Working with Wood" that shows how to cut this joint. It should be available at your library. Good luck with your project. Herb

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC