> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Barn, been moved, then moved again, now its being moved again... Need help.
Login | Register

Barn, been moved, then moved again, now its being moved again... Need help.

Posted by Hawk on May 27th, 2001 08:02 PM

Boy,did I just bite off a big project. I bought a barn that was built in the 1800's, then in 1900 it was torn down and moved to a new location, then in 2000 it was very maticulously torn down again to be moved, but the paty moving it, lost interest. Here I am... the guy who is going to put it up once again.

I intend to make a few small modifications. It measures somewhere around 76'x40' and stands 36' high. It was a bank barn, and I plan to add a few things and convert it into a house as it goes back up.

Some snags I can think of right off the bat, is keeping as much exposed beam and siding as possible inside.

The beams are massive 12" by 18" in most areas, and they are wormy chestnut. The siding is cedar. Both deserve to be left exposed for view.

I am looking for a vent system for the roof, the will also be the ceiling above the perlins. I heard there is a celotex that acually is for this purpose. It is high in "r" value, but perforated for venting all in one layer. Any body heard or seen this product in person?

I also will need someway of insulating the side walls, but keeping the barn looking like a barn form the inside and the outside. My best guess at this is to leave the cedar exposed to the inside, the urathane board over it, and the a second layer of new barn siding over the outside... That makes sence, but was looking for advice from someone who may have worked through this already. Thanks

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC