renovateyourworld.com > Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > BAD SKIM COAT OVER OLD (PLASTIC TILE ADHESIVE)
Login | Register

BAD SKIM COAT OVER OLD (PLASTIC TILE ADHESIVE)

Posted by kathy on October 6th, 1999 10:08 AM

I have been remodeling my house since march 99. I am down to pennys left in remodeling fund. I will not be able to replace the dry wall. when I purchased the house 8 years ago there was wallpaper on the bathroom walls, i removed the paper and found walls to be wavy, so at the suggestion of wallpaper dealer, i put up a wall liner, then was told to paint over the liner and then hang new paper. I have just struggled to remove the old paper and liner, ( I am almost completely done) What I have discovered is that the top half of the walls were originally painted and with a little mudding and sanding I think I can live with them.

The challendge is the bottom half of the walls, used to have tile, (probably plastic) I have unearthed the old tile glue, which is light tan color and somewhat slick to the touch, the reason my walls felt so uneven is that someone (not talented) tried to put a skim coat over the tile and blend with top half of the wall.
How can I make these walls presentable,
Should I sand and try to skim.
Or should I just go ahead and texture, ( which I hate to do because every other wall in the house is textured.
The tub area is not a concern, as I am just going to put a new tub surround in. thanks any help is really appreciated

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2017 Renovate Your World LLC