> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Bad News ...
Login | Register

Bad News ...

Posted by Jay J on October 2nd, 2000 07:40 AM
In reply to Hardwood Floors on Pressed Wood by JC on October 1st, 2000 12:26 AM [Go to top of thread]

I'd suspect that hardwood flooring of any type wasn't an 'option' for flooring in your home when the house was 'speced out'. Perhaps tile or sheet vinyl was planned and, somewhere's along the way, a 'change' was made but no one realized that particle board was used as a sub-floor.

The fix is a costly one. It must go. The PB is just sawdust with glue. NOthing grips into PB very well. If you walked on anything nailed into it, over time, the nails/staples will work themselves loose, and out.

Now, there may be one solution that works for you the best. First, I don't know if you have engineered or laminated or true hardwood floors. This makes a difference but for my last note, it won't matter. Find out the name of the mfgr. of the floor AND the model/type. Then, ctc the Mfgr. to see what they say. If the install voids the warranty, then you should be able to get the floor re-done! If the mfgr. says the warranty is voided, followy my 'Thoughts' in this recent post. Vinyl Siding 'Thoughts' I really wouldn't muck with the PB if the warranty is voided. IN short, it must come out. The long and short of it is that PB is NOT meant for hardwood floors! Assuming you can 'secure' the PB to a sub-floor (ASSUMING you have one UNDER the particle board), the nails WON'T hold in the PB. They must be able to 'grip' something.

My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC