> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Bad Hired Help
Login | Register

Bad Hired Help

Posted by Semi-Pro on May 22nd, 1998 09:48 AM
In reply to Contractor mistakes: What To Do by Carol on May 21st, 1998 11:15 AM [Go to top of thread]

I am a pretty experienced DIY-'er, and I have been on both sides of this story... and I don't think this is unreasonable... You hired a "pro" as an advertised, going-rate, "licensed?" person who does this for a living as you knew your limitations as the non-pro. As I see it, a non-pro (you, a relitive, friend, etc.) could have done the same, non-match job that you paid this pro for. Your time and prep-work aside (sorry..) I think at LEAST I'd be able to stomach the whole episode a bit better had I only been out the actual cost of the materials. SOunds as if you bought the materials yourself, and paid this guy. I'd ask him back one more time, give the option (1.) of him buying all or whatever materials it takes to do the job correct, and his re-labor free; (2.) tell him of your disappointment (re: above reasons) and request your labor money back (I have done a few jobs "free" when I am not happy with my results AFTER warning a potential customer of my fear of not doing an A+ job. If he says no to both, be prepared but firm in telling him your dissappointment, and gather his advertisments, other 'professionals' advertisments, and obtain written estimates from them explaining the situation, get detailed written estimates to demonstrate other professionals see the problems and know how to correct them, and file a small-claims court suit for the bid of fixing. In most cities, you can file yourself, with little or no cost, and no lawyer necessary. If he goes for simply giving you the $ paid for his labor, it may help you have sleep at night and you may learn to live with the job. Huh?

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC