> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Back From My Vacation ...
Login | Register

Back From My Vacation ...

Posted by Jay J on September 20th, 1999 12:28 PM

A great many thanks to the 'regulars' and some of the board's visitors for thinking of me and the family during our vaction to Dewey, DE. Your e-mails to me directly (and on the board) are a great way to come home. They all mean an awful lot to us.

We did just fine considering that many folks around the country are in some real bad 'spots'. Some folks got hit with a 500 year flood and were caught completely off-guard. Others suffered severe losses no matter how much they tried to take precautionary measures. Our hearts go out to them all.

The bay was 300 yards to the west and the ocean was 100 yards to the east. We were the only family on the block at 2:30pm last Thursday when the eye went over us. There was no surge on the bay but there was a surge on the ocean. The wind topped at 70+ MPH and that was the 'bulk' of the area's damage. Dewey's Finest made a personal appearance at our door at 12pm that day offering shelter if we wanted it. We respectfully declined but were prepared to leave on a moment's notice. We watched carefully for 4 hours. Friday presented NO breakers on the beach! What a gorgous day to be on the beach. The days before and after Floyd were excellent. About 1 month ago, I bought our 3 year old an open-water life preserver because I knew she wanted to hit the waves. It was properly worn and a good thing too; I dropped her a couple of times when we got hit unexpectedly by a couple of BIIIIG waves! She held her breath and all. And my wife got a couple my 'drops' on video. When we came in, she told my wife, "That was fun!" She's too much that girl!

Anyway, most of the storms damage was felt when we got home. Delaware County, PA (which is where we live) is one of 7 counties in SE PA that's a disaster area. Fortunately, our home is in a good position on a hill and I have good grading, clear gutters, french drains, and displaced downspouts to handle the water. Everything was fine when we got home but a couple of our street's residents didn't do so well nor did many of my area's residents, on the whole. Take care and I'll see ya on the Forum. Again, thanks to all of you for your thoughts.

Jay J (and family)

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC