> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Awesome, Sarah, And More ...
Login | Register

Awesome, Sarah, And More ...

Posted by Jay J on September 22nd, 1999 08:59 AM
In reply to Several Comments by Sarah on September 21st, 1999 10:35 PM [Go to top of thread]

(Sarah: Like Henry in MI, I too couldn't have said it better myself!) Now 'G', as for painting over vinyl, it's been done. BUT, like painting enything, in due time, it's gonna have to be done again. Vinyl siding is essentially a no-maintenance product. It adds value to the home too. Again, you can paint it but you'll loose the benefit of having a vinyl-sided home. Should you go to sell it, you may have a more difficult time in doing so if it's painted (for the pre-stated reasons.)

What I suggest is that you look into having the house re-sided. Get a contractor or 3 to give 2 estimates. 1 for removal of the old siding, and 1 for just the installation. If you and the 'family' are handy enough, you can save some $$$ by doing the demolition yourself. BUT, you'll have to get rid of the old siding (unless you can work an agreement with the siding contractor.) I also suggest you stay neutral in your color selection, again, for resale reasons. (It's easier to sell a home with tan, white, baige coloring, or the like.) I recommend a thickness of .042 or better. It handles the cold and hot sun better over time than anthing less. Ashland-Davis has a very good site for you to peruse for general siding info. (I'm not an employee or salesman for them but I have their siding and it's serving me well.)

Should you decide to have the home resided, before you do TOO much demolition, find out what's underneath. Then, check the warranty of the mfgr. you select to see if what you 'side to' will NOT void the warranty! I suggest you have the demolition go right down to the flattest surface possible. Then, put up 1/2" insulation board, then put up the siding. If you have asbestos shingles under there, remove them anyway. AND, as part of your effort to save $$$, when the home is cleared of the old siding, now is the time to put in more outdoor electrical outlets and spiggots and spot lights and motion sensors. (At least you can have the 'openings' marked for the contractor, and get the outlet boxes and spiggot 'bibs' and spot/motion light mounting plates in place. Perhaps the contractor can do-it-all.) WHEW!!! There is more but I'm running out of steam (and you may opt NOT to re-side so I'll save my breath in that vain too.)

My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC