> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Attic Room
Login | Register

Attic Room

Posted by Christopher Irwin on May 30th, 2001 08:39 AM

In our 2 story house we have an unfinished attic room that we need to make in to the 4th bedroom. The floor joist and rafters in the roon are 2X6's. A friend of mine said I needed to sister 2X10 joist to make it work.

To get the full picture of the room, the dimmensions are about 12'by 17'. The joist span the 12'. The joist are 16"(ish)on center. The joist are about 3 1/2" to 4" lower than the rest of the second floor. Right now there is a step down right when you walk through the door into the room on to some old plywood laying on the joist. one of the two 17' walls will also be the slanted celing. The door and closet are opposite this wall. My questions are, can I just use the 2X6 joist? How far of a span can I go with 2X6 joist? Do I have to sister the joist with 2X10's? Are there any other ideas?

I was also told that I can mount(by using some sort of a flat bracket on each side every few feet) a 2X4 on the top of the 2X6 joist(?). I have never heard of anything like that and it just sounds wrong, but you never know and I told this person who thought of it that I would ask if I was going to ask about the 2X6 span.

This is the only thing holding us up in this room and all three of our children would have their own room (we have 3 children a 16 year old son, a 12 year old daughter, and a 10 year old son. Curently my daughter has her own room because of the opposite sex thing. The boys share a large 12 X 14 room. now the problem, the boys are going kill one another soon. we need to split them up, and we need help).

Christopher Irwin

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC