I have tons of moisture in my attic here in northern washington near canada. I recently found a mess of mold and mildew up there also. I am using an "acid" scrub brush mounted to an adjustable pole and straight bleach to remove the mold/mildew. I went to the hardware store and bought "ridge master plus" continous ridge vent to let out the warm attic air so that it does not condense. I have contiouse soffit vents and hope this solves my problem. I have done much research on this now and have learned that contious ridge vents and soffit vents are the preferred choice of ventilation. If you have gable end vents as i do, you must seal them off completely so that when you put in a ridge vent the air is drawn in from the soffits ONLY and exits the peak "ridge" of the roof. If this helps you please take the time to email me and let me know. I can only hope that I have helped save someone from the nightmare I am going through. Peace, and good luck.