> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Attic fans
Login | Register

Attic fans

Posted by Henry in MI on January 30th, 2003 07:31 AM
In reply to Condensation in attic - leaking to ceiling by Melva Lang on January 29th, 2003 07:51 AM [Go to top of thread]

Melva, your attic fan should be a big help to get the condensation out of your attic. You should be thinking that the attic is part ot the outside and not part of your living space in your considerations. It will be almost as cold as outside if your attic venting and imsulation is working right--unless you have cathedral ceiling, which are different.

Your attic fan will blow warm air from the house into the attic area, which will still be below freezing, probably. You can get more condensation from this so I think that the best thing would be to use your attic fan cautiously until you have cleared the ice. Two other things could cause real problems and those are that the vent strips on the fan are frozen shut, which would not let the warm air get to your attic, and that the ice will melt into your insulation and possibly into the fan and other wiring. If this appears possible, DO NOT TRY TO USE THE FAN, or ceiling lights, either.

I think that I would try using the fan for perhaps 5-10 minutes per hour. If you get excessive melting, then quit. If you can get the ice out, continue using the attic fan in conjunction with the bathroom fan. You really need to get more ventilation in your attic. The bathroom fan might be showing you that you have more to change than just better venting for it. The good news is that your house should be lower in humidity than most times of the year and that should help you get the ice and humidity out of the attic. Water can go from solid to a gas if you can set the conditions correctly.

Henry in MI

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

• Hey me by Stacy  9/4/03 08:57 PM
  • attic fan by Kirkandreou  4/28/04 10:18 PM (: 2, : 7)

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC