> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > assume the worst...
Login | Register

assume the worst...

Posted by jb on May 4th, 2001 11:52 AM
In reply to About to purchase house with dry rot and NO access to subflooring! by PhoenixFire on May 3rd, 2001 06:41 AM [Go to top of thread]

I know how to fix up older houses and I have restored a bunch of them.

That is why I bought a newer house.

If your inspector didn't look under the house or in the attic then I hope he only charged you 50% because to me those are critically important areas to know about. There is no way to get under the house? I view the main reason for having an inspector is as a hedge against your own emotions. I was the same way when I bought my first house. I fell in love with it and I was saying "well I can fix the rotted floor in the bathroom", "well, I can fix this, I can fix that" etc. etc.. The house was a bargain but it was a freakin mess. I finally saw through my emotions and listened to the inspector I hired and found a better house. Yes, me, I hired an inspector. I am a carpenter and licensed contractor and I hired and listened to an inspector because he wasn't emotional. I would listen to your inspector. If needed get a second opinion. If your inspectors can't get under the floor or in the attic then I can't see how you could have enough information to make a decision. I would have to take a worst case scenario and assume that you will have $20 - $50,000 additional cost. This is worst case, devil's advocate kind of stuff but the point is, if you don't know, assume the worst.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC