> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Asbestos-vinyl floor tile...How to solve a problem?
Login | Register

Asbestos-vinyl floor tile...How to solve a problem?

Posted by Anne on February 10th, 2003 10:17 PM

1 of 1 people found this post helpful

Moderator Post (s) for this thread:
> Depends by Billhart on 05/13/2007

I just moved into a 45 year old home that has old vinyl floor tile in the finished part of the basement. Because the vinyl floor tile is in very poor condition (tiles are cracked, broken, and buckled on floor due to age and probably moisture), I had them tested for asbestos. I also had some of the black mastic that is on my floor where tiles were missing tested. Additionally, I had some white powdery substance that is on the floor where pieces of the vinyl tile is missing tested, but the white powdery substance was found to contain no asbestos. The vinyl floor tiles were found to contain 2-3% chrysotile asbestos and the black mastic was found to contain 5-10% chrysotile asbestos. I realize that the asbestos fibers in floor tiles and mastic is nonfriable, but fibers can become friable if the tiles or mastic are disturbed.

I want to cover the old vinyl tile. Is it best to cover the old vinyl tile with a new vinyl floor? I don't want to lay carpet over it because of the possibility of a moisture problem. However, because some of the asbestos-containing tiles are warped and not laying flat on the floor, if a new vinyl floor is placed on top of the warped areas, obviously the new floor will not lay flat. And trying to remove the old floor tiles in these warped spots may release asbestos into the air. What typically is done to solve this problem?

Also, do many people currently have a similar problem with asbestos-containing floor tile in their homes being in poor condition?

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC