> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Asbestos Roof Repairs
Login | Register

Asbestos Roof Repairs

Posted by Julie Minter on March 24th, 1998 11:10 AM

2 of 2 people found this post helpful

After a strong hail storm in our area, nearly everyone in our neighborhood is having their roof replaced. I have an asbestos shingle roof on a 1940 home. Our insurance adjuster originally found no damage to our roof and I naively took his word. About nine months later, I am experiencing leaks which I never had before. I have heard that the hail may have caused hairline cracks in the shingles which are difficult to see and would not present a problem initially. But, during the winter, water would freeze in the hairline cracks and burst them open causing problems later. Is this accurate?

Also, my insurance company recently agreed to a minor repair of eight shingles. I have heard that the asbestos shingles really are not replaceable or repairable. That a contractor will typically cause more damage than good while working on the roof surface. Is this accurate?

Finally, when the adjuster came out to take a second look they climbed all over the roof using a rope suspension. I have heard that you really should not walk on the roof at all. Am I likely to have additional problems because they walked all over the roof?

Is there any likely chance that an asbestos roof can truly survive a hail storm with golf ball to baseball size hail? Can you recommend a good source of information on asbestos roofs in general?

I need to repair these leaks, but I want to be sure it is done correctly. Thanks!!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC