> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > asbestos removal
Login | Register

asbestos removal

Posted by bc on December 25th, 2000 12:15 AM
In reply to asbestos by kevin on December 24th, 2000 11:11 PM [Go to top of thread]

Don't quote me on this but I believe the asbestos abatement companies lay down sheets of plastic on the floors, walls, etc. and cover doorways. They use those throwaway tyvek suits with a head cover and a respirator rated for asbestos. Use a 3 gal tank sprayer and spray down and soak all asbestos with water. Then remove it putting it into plastic bags sealed with tape. When done, fold up the plastic tent you made and put it in a sealed plastic bag. Any loose pieces on floors, etc. just wet down sweep and mop. Trash the mop in plastic. I'm not sure what the landfill does with it.

You might do some more research on asbestos abatement on the internet and should find lots of information that may be more accurate than mine. I personally think the EPA tends to blow things out of proportion. I handled lots of asbestos insulation as a kid when no one new better and I'm still kicking. However, my uncle retired from the steamfitters union in CA, talks about the obits in the union newsletter usually has someone in their 70's or 80's who has died from asbestos but he said most worked in the shipyards, etc. with it during WWII and later and that was daily exposure for years. Even arsenic in small quantities isn't lethal.

When you go to sell your house, it may be a matter for disclosure but you evidently bought it knowing about it. My final advice would be to don't do it and pay the million for an abatement company.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC