> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > asbestos floor tiles
Login | Register

asbestos floor tiles

Posted by ChrisP on December 16th, 2002 10:27 PM
In reply to Removing vinyl-asbestos floor tiles by Ed Vanden Bosche on December 13th, 2002 08:51 PM [Go to top of thread]

1 of 1 people found this post helpful

I've got asbestos tiles on my concrete basement floor. The basement had been carpeted for probably 15+ years or more, I'll bet. And there were a couple spots that repeatedly encountered water seepage due to heavy rains. The previous owner seemingly just lived with the situation. We found the asbestos tiles upon tearing out the old carpet to have it replaced. For the most part, the tiles appear to be in decent condition, although the floor is nowhere near uniformly flat. There are no cracked tiles, but there are several loose ones that can be easily lifted up whole. The once favorable estimate of $850-1000 to have them removed (along with the mastic glue) has risen to $1500 or so. Is there any real danger to simply laying new carpet directly over the tiles? If certain tiles deteriorate/crack underneath the carpeting, is it possible for any asbestos fibers to make their way through the padding/carpet and into the air? Remove the very loose tiles carefully and fill in the void first? Is there any type of sealant that can be applied to the surface of the tiles, and then lay the carpet? Don't want to cough up $1500+ if I really can avoid doing so. Any recommendations are much appreciated. Thanks!!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC