It is my understanding that asbestos is only dangerous when it begins to brake apart and starts flaking. This is when the asbestos particles get into the air and finds their way into your lungs and then it is a very serious health problem. If the asbestos is still in good shape and not braking apart, I'd just leave it alone. If you do choose to remove it, You must find a certifide contractor who is liscenced to remove the stuff, and it can be very costly(depending in how much you have) We had some removed from some pipes in our basement, $1200. The removal and disposal of the stuff is very much regulated. I am sure you will get more post on this subject perhaps with more information than I. Good Luck.