> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > As Poohbear's Friend, Rabbit, Would Say ...
Login | Register

As Poohbear's Friend, Rabbit, Would Say ...

Posted by Jay J -Moderator on March 21st, 2001 08:50 AM
In reply to painting brick on exterior of home by Charlene Bowman on March 20th, 2001 05:34 PM [Go to top of thread]

Hi Charlene,

... Why, oh why, oh why???

I will 'help' answer your question but in exchange for that, I ask that you 'hear me out'. One, Once you paint your brick, you've essentially turned a maintenance-free 'material' into one that now requires maintenance. Two, once you've painted your brick (or 'sealed' it), there's no turning back. You CAN get the paint off, sort-of, but then you're ruined the brick in the process (as you will read in a moment.) There are chemicals and sandblasters that will, basically, destroy the brick. Three, by painting the brick, you've probably diminished the value of the home in a significant way. Personally, I'm no Realtor but I've never heard of someone actually looking for a home with painted brick. Clapboard, vinyl, aluminum, T & G, and so on, yes. But not painted brick.

There are other options here. How 'bout a new siding job? Then, should you decide to sell the home, you can show the prospective buyer pictures of what the home looked like BEFORE, DURING, and after the new siding was put up. They MAY actually buy it if the NEW siding isn't appealing to them.

Now, about your question. See My Favorite WEB Search Engine for some starting URLs. You may find most of them will try to talk you OUT of doing it. Of course, a Painter may have a 'biased opinion' (voting to go ahead and paint/stain.) And so will a Brick Mason (voting NOT to paint.) Others may agree and disagree. I'd like to hear from them to before you go any further.

My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J -Moderator

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

• More ... by Jay J -Moderator  3/21/01 08:54 AM

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC