> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Applying wallpaper to paneling
Login | Register

Applying wallpaper to paneling

Posted by Bruce Ridenour on May 24th, 1998 03:04 PM
In reply to Wallpapering over paneling by Larry Scott on November 28th, 1997 11:51 AM [Go to top of thread]

One caution to applying any wallcovering to paneling.

Most panelings are made of materials that will expand and contract over time due to changes in temprature and humidity. This effect will leave wrinkles where each sheet of paneling joins behind the wallcoverings. I have never found way sto stop this from happening. How ever, if the paneling is securely nailed with 1 5/8 ring shank drywall nails at each seem (provided the seams fall on a stud) this can reduce the wrinklling somewhat.

I have also found that linning paper can also show the grooves in the paneling behind the wallcoverings on a hot, humid day. Fast-drying joint compound such as Durabond's Easy Sand-20 has always been my preference in filling the grooves in paneling, using three coats of compound, covering the joints with drywall joint tape pasted with border ashesive and feathering with the same compound, sanding and following with a coat of Zinsser's "Shields Wallcovering primer". It is always a good idea to thoroughly sand the paneling with 100 grit sandpaper and wash wothe a strong detergent and making sure it is well rinsed with clean water before beginning.

Best of luck!

Bruce Ridenour
Professional Paper hanger for 16 years

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC