> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > another twist on kitchen cabinet refinishing
Login | Register

another twist on kitchen cabinet refinishing

Posted by Cory on September 19th, 2000 04:00 PM

1 of 1 people found this post helpful

I've seen the threads on refinishing kitchen cabinets here and noe address my situation. Here goes... My cabinets are a medium brown oak, and I want to end up with jet black (not even a hint of brown) and still leave the grain showing. The best product I have found so far is alcohol-based black aniline dye, applied in several coats. I'm a bit leary of what I've heard about the light-fastness of dye so I'm still entertaining other options. Does anyone here have any other suggestions?

I have gotten the best results (at least for the way I want the cabinets to look) from spray polyurethene in a flat finish. I've been experimenting with a single door so far, stripping an refinishing. The plan is to remove doors and drawer fronts and have them all professionally stripped to save some time. I'll strip the fronts myself.

The interior will need to be "blackened" too. I'm thinking that the way to go about this will be to paint (spray) them black while I have the doors and countertop off. The shelves are fiberboard from what I can tell, and the interior walls perhaps a thin paneling. What prep and finish will be best for the interior.

OK, that's it for round one... I'll be ducking now in case some of you feel this is as big a sacrilege as painting them white.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC