> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Another Floor Joists Question
Login | Register

Another Floor Joists Question

Posted by Ron on March 2nd, 2000 10:33 AM

Since I saw you discussions about strength of joists and drilling holes, I pose another question.

The house I bought is 20 years old, has 2x10 joists on 16" centers, 24 foot span broken up with steel beam in center (therefore two 12' spans).

The builder cut a 6" hole in the center of a joist for a heating duct. It now has 1.5" of wood above and below the hole. This is the 4th board out from the wall and the hole is 1.5' or 2' from the end of the board.

The joist looks fine, but my question is should I do anything to eliminate problems down the road.

I don't want to cause any additional damage to the joist by attaching a peice of angle iron along the bottem or sistering boards on either side. I don't want to nail or screw anything into this board to weaken it.

One option I thought of is to run two additional joists 6" on either side. They also would have to have the hole for the heating duct cut into them.

Other than not jumping on the floor above this point, what advice or solutions are there?

Thanks. All opinions welcome!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC