> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > And What You Might Want To Do Further ...
Login | Register

And What You Might Want To Do Further ...

Posted by Jay J -Moderator on November 22nd, 2000 09:34 AM
In reply to What you need to do immediately.... by Steve: on November 22nd, 2000 09:13 AM [Go to top of thread]

1 of 2 people found this post helpful

Hi Donna,

After you've managed to 'clean up', you might want to look at the source of your water. I know you said it's been raining a lot but unless you don't have a roof over the house, most water problems like this can be solved with minimal effort. Of course, I'm assuming that the source of the water isn't from going in and out of the house a lot where water might be getting blown in or 'tracked' in with boots or shoes ...

I'm assuming that you have carpet on a concrete slab that's pretty level with the ground outside. IF the ground 'slopes' TOWARDS the house, you need to reverse this. Improper sloping encourages the water to run TOWARDS the house. Now, you may not have enough 'room' to simply throw dirt (and plant grass) so that the slope is AWAY from the house. If this is the case, the answer may involved some digging to 'remove' the 'high spot' so you have the proper sloping.

During the next rainstorm, put on your boots, raincoat, and grab an umbrella. Go outside when it's not lightening out. Inspect how the water is running off your roof. Is it running into the gutters? Over the gutters? BEHIND the gutters??? If it's running over the gutters, or behind them, the gutter and/or downspout may clogged with debis. OR, they could simply be improperly installed. Once you have this all fixed (or it's all OK), look to see where the water that comes out of your downspouts is running to. Is the water running BACK towards the house? If so, bad idea. Downspouts should be extended at least 3' from the foundation. AND, this 3' of landscaping should have 1/4" of sloping per foot, minimum, in order to help keep water AWAY from the foundation.

If you have good sloping and properly working (and installed) gutters and downspouts, then a driving wind could be 'pushing' the rain at the house causing problems. From here, the causes of your water and the fixes get more complicated. These are rare so I won't go into them. What I already mentioned is usually what folks need to do to 'fix' the problem.

Another thing I recommend is that you don't have trees and plants and such within 2-3' of the foundation. This harbors an environment that promotes dampness and bugs and so on that could contribute to your problem, among others. By keeping plants away from the foundation and allowing AIR AND SUN there, it helps keep the ground dry, and bugs and insects under control. As a general rule of thumb, if you want to know 'where' you should put a plant, you need to picture how big you WANT (or will allow) it to get. If the bush is to grow 6' in diameter, plant it 5' from the foundation. (I get 5' by dividing the diamter in to, which is 3', then add 2' from the house to get 5'.) That's how you do it. A 2' in diamter plant/bush should be planted 3' from the house by my general rule. See how it works? I know this may sound silly and may even create some work for you. It may not even be appealing to you. But these are the type of inexpensive ways to help with water problems.

I guess I could go on and on. Here are a TON of links for you to review about mold and mildew. Visit My Favorite WEB Search Engine, and start reading about mold and mildew in the house. For now, my best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J -moderator

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC