> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > And More ...
Login | Register

And More ...

Posted by Jay J -Moderator on January 24th, 2001 08:32 AM
In reply to Steel Concerns by Steve: on January 23rd, 2001 08:35 PM [Go to top of thread]

Hi Matt,

Steve: has pretty much hit it all. I've finally read the article in this month's Family Handyman Magazine. It is cheaper in material but as Steve: said, it's probably made up in labor (because of the tools and skills needed.) BUT, as more and more people use it, it will become more and more popular.

Personally, I wouldn't be swayed. As long as building code is met, it's OK w/me. DO ask about hanging things like kitchen cabinets (with all that weight of plates and glass in there) on them. That would be a concern (since I don't know how that works out.) It's not unusual to mix steel construction with wood construction in the same home. For example, you might find non-load-bearing walls built of steel but load-bearing walls built of wood. DO be sure that if you go with steel, that if you need to hang something on a stud (like a picture) that you find out what the correct 'hook' it is you should use. Again, it's all about change; it's NOT about 'cheaper material' (quality-wise that is).

Ask the builder if you can talk to 2 or 3 of his already-built customers that used steel framing. Remember, beings they're building with steel as much as they are, there should be EVERYTHING you need to 'adapt' to it in the house. (Like hanging pictures, kitchen cabinets, electrical boxes, etc., etc..) You won't be left w/o a solution if steel studs are part of the 'equation'. Good luck!

My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J -Moderator

PS: Get yourself a nice cordless drill 14.4v with bits that go through steel studs. And look for a book or 2 that talks about how to drill and screw into it so you don't 'strip' the steel/screws. Oh, and if you can pick up a scrap piece or 2 of a steel stud, do so, so you can practice on it if you need to drill into on. I don't know if the steel is the SAME THICKNESS 'all around the house'. Ask the builder if the 'thickness' of the studs is different from that, for example, of the steel used in the header installation. If it, among other steel 'uses' in the house, IS different, get scraps of all them as well. Again, you'd want to practice on the different thicknesses. Find out WHERE the different thickness are used. Oh, (now my mind is wandering), talk to your Home Insurance Co. about a discount for using steel!!!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC