> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Aluminum wiring
Login | Register

Aluminum wiring

Posted by Al Camber on November 4th, 2001 01:16 PM

Just purchased a home and later found it to have aluminum and copper wiring. It was built in 79. I have heard that if you have aluminum wire going to aluminum compatable switches and outlets, then just tighten them yearly to make sure they are snug. If it is aluminum wiring to copper, then a special crimp is required to "solve" the problem. It doesn't pig-tail the wires (which I was told isn't a fix), instead it crimps a leader piece of copper onto the aluminum, then you use the copper leader to connect to the house switches, outlets, and fixtures.
My specific question is about the outlets and switches that you can still buy that is compatable with aluminun and copper. Is aluminum wiring connected to the proper switches and outlets still considered safe, or should the whole house be "crimped"? We are talking a lot of money to have this done. There is only one place in the state of Washington who has the special crimping device. I feel a little trapped. Bottom line is safety for my family.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC