> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Alternative bath ceiling...
Login | Register

Alternative bath ceiling...

Posted by Bruce M on January 4th, 1998 09:10 AM
In reply to Alternative Materials? by Mike Herrick on December 31st, 1997 05:00 PM [Go to top of thread]

Hi Mike:

Sorry, but I can't think of a conventional alternative to a painted bath ceiling. There are tin, wood panel, suspended and textured surface ceilings, all of which wouldn't work. However, if you are the inventive, risk taking type, consider this.....a high pressure laminate ceiling. Imagine putting up 1/2 or 3/8" plywood firmly attached to the ceiling. Then order Formica or Wilson Art high pressure laminate in one piece that would cover your entire ceiling (I believe you can order solid sheets up to 10' wide by 20' long ..... although I'm not sure about this size. I have personally ordered sheets 5' wide by 12' long with no problem). Cut and dry fit this to your ceiling. Then adhere with contact cement, sort of like an upside down counter top :-) You can now pick from literally hundreds of patterns, and I'll bet there are many that would look good as a bath ceiling. Sealling the edges of the laminate would be critical to keep rising moisture from getting under and lifting off the laminate. A large exhaust fan would be essential. But be prepared in the future to cover that with another layer of 3/8" I'm not sure how contact cement would hold in the long run when hanging upside down.

Also, might want to consider puting up the new vinyl crown molding around the ceiling edges to hide the unfinished edge of the new drywall you put up. I was just looking at some of it last week at my local Home Depot and the stuff looks doesn't have that shiny plastic look and even has a subtle grain texture to it

Best wishes

Bruce M.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC