> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Also look at real wood
Login | Register

Also look at real wood

Posted by Ron C on November 1st, 2000 12:11 PM
In reply to To Install Basement Subfloor or Not to.. by Stephen Deutsch on November 1st, 2000 11:52 AM [Go to top of thread]

Another option would be real oak. They make a 1/4 inch parquet that is not any more expensive. Can be laid right over cement, as long as you level it. Real wood will not fall apart as easily as the particle board crap. The problem is you mix the word "quality" with "laminate wood flooring" That is an oxy-moron.

The real answer to your question can be determined by how level the floor currently is. Typically, the floor slopes to a drain somewhere. You cannot put any type of flooring over a sloping subfloor.

My personal choice was to lay carpeting down. Its not permanently installed. If the hot water heater decides to suddenly give out, I can put the carpets outside to dry or pitch them and buy some new remnants. A 12' by 15' remnamt only costs about $80. I say think of what could get ruined by a sudden accidental flood. If you put an exoxy-paint (like a gray) on the floor, then cover most with a rug, you get a good look and minimal damage will result from accidents.

Just my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions...

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC