renovateyourworld.com > Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > All the same, hire a structural engineer, and call your insurance agent.
Login | Register

All the same, hire a structural engineer, and call your insurance agent.

Posted by Jim -ATS on April 19th, 2000 12:29 PM
In reply to P.S. by Crystal on April 19th, 2000 07:45 AM [Go to top of thread]

Explain your problem to your insurance agent. In SOME cases, you may be able to get SOME help from your homeowner's policy to PAY for the fixes. These policies are funny. I was hired to replace a rotten deck on a condo with vinyl siding. They built the deck wrong where it connected to the house, rotting out all of the structural framing in the house below the deck. In order to fix the house, the deck would have had to be replaced. The insurance paid to have the deck removed, and replaced, but she had to pay for the structural repairs to the house itself. The point is, some is better than none, so see what you can get. Maybe you can get the patio replaced so they can do the OUTSIDE (read: invisible) repair on the wall...

A structural engineer will tell you the best way to fix the problem. The wall is structural and you don't want to just stick a band aid on it.

Based on what you said, I would go with the concrete and rebar, but I can't see the problem first hand. Hire an expert.

Good luck!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2017 Renovate Your World LLC