> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > All new floor in 1790 Cape
Login | Register

All new floor in 1790 Cape

Posted by Worried in NH on January 19th, 2003 10:51 AM

Hi, thanks for reading this. I need advice ASAP!

I have a 1790 P&B cape in pretty good shape (many modifications have been made over the years). It has a center chimney and log joists. Several of the logs, though solid, had slipped (or rotted) out of the pockets on the outside wall. Due to the dirt crawl in that section, we decided to pull up the floor from the inside.

After ripping 4(!) layers of floor from the living room, the beam pockets were exposed and the contractor removed all the old log joists that were about 32" OC. He then sistered a rim joist to each sill (sills are good) and hung new joists (span about 12') with hangers. It seems to me that he could have just replaced the timbers in the existing pockets, couldn't he?

More important, he didn't do anything to improve the slope of the floor; even with all new joists it slopes toward the center chimney. He's already started to put down 3/4" plywood. Should I stop him?

Isn't there a way to level the floors? The room is about 12' x 23' with one exterior and two interior doorways with the hearth (built on top of the floors) inbetween. With four layers removed, the doorways and wainscoting are way above the floor, so adjustments won't impair.

Thanks for your quick reply!,

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC