> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Air Movement......
Login | Register

Air Movement......

Posted by Dodgeman on January 4th, 2003 10:12 AM
In reply to Attic Rafter Insulation by Woody on January 4th, 2003 07:31 AM [Go to top of thread]

Woody, In addition to what LJ has stated, I would make sure that you have a continuous vent path for air movement from your soffit to the ridge. The insulation has to be able to breathe. You can use the formed styrofoam vent panels and run them from the soffit to the ridge. BUT make sure they are perforated, so the fiberglass can vent into the air space. Also, if you don't already have it, you should install a continuous ridge vent in addition to the soffit vents.
In addition, I would use 6 mil plastic over the rafters after the insulation is installed to effect a better vapor barrier than kraft paper.
One other thing, you didn't state the size of your rafters. You may not be able to fit the R30 into the space available. You could fir out the rafters to make room, otherwise you may have to reduce the thickness (and R rating) of your insulation. But if all possible, I would try to stick with the R30 as LJ suggested.
Good Luck!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC