> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Air Conditioner leaking!!! Please help.
Login | Register

Air Conditioner leaking!!! Please help.

Posted by Pam on June 18th, 2001 08:52 AM

I don't know what to do. My house is 15 years old with a heat pump unit. Last year the compressor went out on my outside unit and I had a new one installed (Carrier). Before that my inside (basement) unit was leaking around the base and the installer of the outside unit said that I need to pour a 1/2 and 1/2 mixture of bleach and water regularly to keep the drain clean so the condensation can flow. It sort of worked... I had occasional water leakage though.

This summer the water is pooling around the inside unit. I had Sears come out and do the regular a/c check for homeowners. The guy said that my drain was clear, but this particular design (apparently he's seen it before) doesn't allow the condensation to flow out like it should so it pools. He said that the only thing one can do is to get a whole new unit.

Does that sound correct to you guys? Should I get a new unit installed? Here are some other points to consider, too. I HATE heat pumps. The winter's where I live are cold and very snowy and that darn thing is not worth poop. I would love to have oil heat. I was wondering if I should consider installing a new unit inside and, at the same time, have oil heat installed. Would that make more sense economically, if I really want to switch over anyway? I also have been told that my upstairs rooms are hot in the summer because the house was not vented properly. I was also told that I need another exchange vent upstairs, too. I'm also sure that the vents in the house need to be cleaned because I have TON of dust in my house.

I know this was a long story, but I am so confused. I can't take this water in my basement anymore though, because my house is feeling damp and starting to smell mildewy.

One other thing. Am I crazy to consider Sears for this work. I know it's much more $$$$, but finding a reputable business that will not screw up my house is scary too. At least I know that Sears backs it's work and products. What do you think?

Thanks so much guys.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC