> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Agreed, And Much, MUCH More Than You Bargained For ...
Login | Register

Agreed, And Much, MUCH More Than You Bargained For ...

Posted by Jay J -Moderator on January 16th, 2001 08:43 AM
In reply to A Building Engineer will be required............ by John 2000 on January 16th, 2001 07:59 AM [Go to top of thread]

Hi Roy,

Did you have the home inspected by a Professional Home Inspector? If so, call him back to see if he'll see what's going on for NO CHARGE. Tel him you just bought the place last Summer. I've called my ASHI-Approved Home Inspector back to my home a couple of times AFTER we closed on the house. One of his 'selling points' was that we could do that as long as we owned the home! (I don't know if this 'benefit' is offered by ALL ASHI Inspectors but I DO know they have 'ethics and rules' that they must follow in order to be ASHI Approved. See the aforementioned WEB page.) IF you didnt' have your home inspected, then NOW is a good time to have it done. Not knowing what your 'situation' was/is regaring a Home Inspection, I'll stop right there.

Now, for the benefit of 'others' (and perhaps yourself too), it is my strong opinion that everyone have their home inspected BEFORE they buy it. ASHI Inspectors don't cost more, per se, than a non-ASHI Inspector. (Visit the above WEB page for more information.) It's just that ASHI Inspectors have more to 'lose'. Today, folks call themselves a Home Inspector almost over night! There are these study-at-home courses and so on that are offered out there. When the big rush for buying and selling of homes took hold in the middle 1990's, there was a shortage of qualified Home Inspectors in many parts of the country. Hence, these quick-fix-courses were made. I've heard and read of folks that use to be School Teachers and Autobody Repairmen becoming Home Inspectors w/o ANY experience in the Trades. In most professional circles, that would seem negligent. I don't have any personal 'beef' with School Teachers and Autobody Repair folks, in a sense, as long as that's what they do. I'm sure they don't want just ANYONE calling themselves a School Teacher after taking 3 night courses and a test whereas they, themselves, had to endure 4 years of college. (They call it Professional Respect ...) Soooo, be SURE of who you hire to inspect your prospective new home. ASK what their background is in the trades. Go ahead and see if they know the difference between Engineered and Solid Hardwood flooring. GO ahead and ask them if they know the difference between 10-2 and 12-2 wiring. Go ahead and ask them if they know what a dry well is. If YOU know the answer and they don't, find someone else!

Well, you're probably wonding what's my bottom line (LOL). Bottom line is: I don't know why folks are willing to spend 10s of thousands of dollars, sometimes 100s of THOUSANDS of dollars, on a home over the course of 30 years, and they WON'T spend a FEW hundered dollars on a Home Inspection. The same goes for hiring a Real Estate Attorney of your OWN for Closing. (Who is looking after YOUR interests?! The SELLER'S Real Estate Agent???! Please, don't get me started.) So there you have it!

I'm sorry for venting on your Post, Roy, but I haven't done this in a while and now I feel much better. This just seemed the 'appropriate' time and place to do so. (Thanks for your understanding in advance.) Again, as John said, get someone qualified in there to assess the situation. If you didnt' have that Home Inspection, get an ASHI Inspector now. He may fine MORE problems! Oh, if your home has a Home Warranty, now's a good time to start reading it.

My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J -Moderator

PS: You might want to read my Follow-up to the Original Post just below yours regarding Condensation On Windows. IN there, I talk about keeping a log of 'problems' and such with your home. I think it would be beneficial if you read that too.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC