> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Agree with Chris
Login | Register

Agree with Chris

Posted by Carol on June 24th, 2002 12:30 PM
In reply to I have a ton of experience stripping paint by Chris in DC on June 24th, 2002 08:03 AM [Go to top of thread]

It is kind of dumb just to write to say I agree, but I do agree with everything Chris said. After trying everything on the market, I ended using a heat gun first and following up with a chemical. When I first began, I kept thinking that there had to be an easier way than whatever method I was using. There isn't. The chemicals may be a little faster than the heat, but the clean up is much worse. Unfortunately I did not try to obtain information first, so I can vouch for the fact it is fairly easy to get terrible scorching, especially when trying to strip intricate carving. I also stipped a lot of pine under the theory that bare wood always looks better than painted wood. It doesn't, so I basically just wasted an awful lot of time. With respect to the multiple layers, some former occupant of my house apparently really like shelf paper, and used it like wallpaper on a number of surfaces (including using an oak wood grain on a pine door). This strips fairly easily with the heat gun--if I can just catch a strip of the shelf paper, I can pull off quite a bit of paint at once. This would not work with a chemical.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC