> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Agree, And More ...
Login | Register

Agree, And More ...

Posted by Jay J on August 28th, 2000 12:06 PM
In reply to One comment... by Steve Jones on August 27th, 2000 02:48 PM [Go to top of thread]

1) Just for everyone else's benefit, as well as maybe yours, floating floors have a 'hollow sound' when you walk on them. They're best used over existing flooring that slightly uneven over relatively large distances. (Plus, they're easy to install and 'cheaper' to buy, but aside from that ...)
2) You need a good, solid sub-floor to nail into. If the floor is 'measureably uneaven', don't nail until you fix the unevenness, or float instead.
3) The tongues on these floor boards are 'fragile'. If you're nailing, use a gun. You'll break more with a manual nailer. AND be sure to use a nailer (with an APPROVED attachment if necessary) that's listed in the Instructions. If you're not sure of either, contact the mfgr. of the flooring. Otherwise, you could VOID your warranty!
4) IMO, floating or glued floors are great for cement foundations or very solid, level floors. Consider a solid, 3/4" floor for added value in a home, a solid sounding floor, AND a long, lasting floor that can be easily, repaired and refinished, over time.

I know your question, and I'm sorry for getting off the mark a bit. But I'm making my stmts. for the benefit of others as well as, perhaps, yours. IN short, nail if you can, glue, or float as a last resort. My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC