> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > After more thought,,,,,
Login | Register

After more thought,,,,,

Posted by Steve: on January 18th, 2001 08:27 PM
In reply to Removing wall by JackD on January 18th, 2001 06:08 PM [Go to top of thread]

I see your thoughts with some hall way walls. I do see some walls in my home that are at right angles to joists, but are stacked three deep about 4 feet apart. I know that they are all at right angles and I guess that one could take one away or maybe even two.

I have always had a fear of doing what some homeowners want with a wall and having the phone ring at my home asking me to come back because the roof fell in. ha ha

I have been painting in a home where another contractor was in there removing a true load bearing wall between a living room and a dining room. This removal made a huge room, ample space for one of those 54 inch or so TV's.

He was installing several what I would call King posts on the sides of the wall to be removed and then installing a 4 x 12 beam that would traverse the room and serve as the support for the lost load bearing wall.

As you stated, one should always consult with a struct. engineer and a contractor good with beam spans.

The job looks extremely easy its the thought behind the job that must count.

Thanks for your insight and thought provolking post.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC