> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Advise on moving hot water heater needed
Login | Register

Advise on moving hot water heater needed

Posted by Dale on January 2nd, 2003 07:02 PM

I too want to move my hot water heater. The current one we have is going to need replacing in a few months. When I replace it, I want to move it to our "machanical room." Right now it is in a closet at the rear of the house. I will be replacing it with another electric model. I am going to add Central air and Heat to the home in a few years, and the HVAC unit is going to go in the machanical room also. Moving the water heater there will ease in installation of Natuaral gas in the future. So My question is:

1. Can I just shut the power off, undo the wiring from the unit, and move the wiring thru the atic and to the new location?? The wiring is already in the attic, would just need to shorten the wiring to accomplish this.

2. The existing pipes to the Water heater, can't they just be "capped" off and then tap into the cold and hot water lines in the machanical room to accomplish the same route??

3. This is an older home, with no expantion tank. Are these required on Electic units, or just Natural gas. I added one to your old home to bring it up to code when I replaced the water heater there. However, that was a gas heater. Regardless if it is code, They are cheap, so should it be added for extra protection?

Any help would be greatly appriciated. I am Pretty handy with "do it yourself" stuff. Just want to get some more advice fist.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC